Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I was wrong (the cube realized)

It happens. I am wrong. It has happened before. Not often. But it happened tonight.

The Cube.

After a 12 hour work day. After he'd been at school then tackled homework. Right before bedtime. This had disaster written all over it.

But I was bound and determined for him to have some role in this mindless exercise.

We picked out the paper and settled in at the table. iPad open to the 18 step "easy" directions.

And I started folding and he started creasing. And he said "I've made this before, mom. We've got this. Follow me." And I did.

And it was hard but doable. Together. Alone I'm not sure either one of us could have assembled the cube. But together, we proved, anything is possible.

And before long step one was step twelve and the cube was taking shape. And pretty soon we were both marveling at how awesome we were.

Most days I'm dead on estimating my children's strengths and weaknesses but tonight was a reminder not to write them off. They have undiscovered talents. They have unique. skills. They are amazing in their own right.

Will Aaron grow up to be a master paper folder (if such a thing exists)? Probably not. But I hope he will look back and remember his tired, frazzled mom sat down after work and helped him fold an origami cube and told him, "I'm so proud of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment